Pages

Cold Brewed Coffee



Cold brewed coffee 
Happy Monday y'all! I'm blogging again. I've missed it. I've missed this fun community of the sharing types. I love being here with all of you. Thank you fellow bloggers that have emailed me and commented with concern. I'm here. Doing well. Excited about 2013.


Onto the title of this post...

 

I was introduced to  cold brewed coffee while we were visiting family over Christmas. My dear aunt uses the Coffee Toddy. Even though it's not very expensive, I thought I would see if I could find a way to make it without using the fancy contraption. So, after a short google search I cam across a post by Kimi on The Nourishing Gourmet.  Tried it, and  the Hubby and I loved it! Although, he still likes the traditional way too, I've made him several cups of the cold brewed stuff, and every time he tells me what a great cup of coffee it is. We won't be doing this way all the time, but it really is smooth! The smoothest cup of coffee you will ever taste. You coffee lovers try it and let me know if you agree.:)

Here's how I did it. Recipe taken off of The Nourishing Gourmet.

Cold Brew Coffee
1 1/3 cup of fresh finely ground coffee (Even cheap coffee tastes good using this method, but I recommend buying organic coffee beans, since coffee is a highly sprayed crop. I personally lean toward a medium roast bean)
4 cups of filtered water
1. Combine ground coffee and water in a mason jar or French press. Stir to combine well. Cover and leave for at least 8 hours, and up to 24 hours at room temperature.
2. Put a coffee filter in a fine sieve over a small mixing bowl or 4 cup measuring cup. Slowly pour coffee through the filter. (I used a little muslin bag) This is your coffee concentrate.
3. Keep refrigerated. To serve, dilute to preference. A one-to-three ratio is common (one-third coffee concentrate, two-thirds water). For a stronger cup of coffee, use a one-to-one ratio. I like to add a little almond milk. My husband likes to add a tablespoon or two of organic cream and just a little sweetener.
It will keep at least one week.
Yield: 4 cups of concentrate (makes at least 8 cups of coffee).

No comments: